Saturday, June 25, 2011

Art Among the Toilets

Cleaning the bathrooms is high on my list of least-favored activities. I know I could hire someone to do this, but I am plagued by some sort of deep-rooted sense of obligation to do it myself. Perhaps I know in my heart that I need to humble myself regularly. I wouldn't want to be getting too fancy here.

Today, I decided to break up the job into three parts and to create a series of mini-rewards to keep me motivated along the way. The three parts = the three bathrooms. The reward...art time. After each bathroom, I went into my studio, turned the music on and painted until I needed drying time. Then I turned the music off and moved on to the next bathroom. Once that bathroom was clean, I returned to the studio to work on the next collage layer until I needed to break for paint to dry again.

The whole experience was quite pleasant. By the time I finished the bathrooms, I ended up spending lots more time making art. The end result... clean bathrooms, a completed collage, and a happy me.


My husband even got in on the mini-rewards as he did yard work. His reward... beer.

3 comments:

  1. Loving your collage, and your method of cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting here waiting for my calendar and prize package...thanx for letting me know you got yours today. Can't wait to see the goodies. I'm certain we'd have a blast if we lived closer together...creating and chasing cowboys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, never thought UPS was gonna get here. Finally got my calendar and prizes today! Your piece looks awesome, and on the first page! So exciting, looking over the prizes now that I've called everyone I know. :)
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete