Friday, August 17, 2012

My Love Affair with Gelli





Once in a while you meet an art supply that makes you weak in the knees. My latest crush... the gelli print block. Just touching its wiggly surface makes me smile. Once I add paint to it, well... I am transported to a happy land of paint-covered marshmallows and clouds.

I bought my Gelli block at Blick Art Supply and was able to use a 40% off coupon, but you can also order them from Interweave.



I used all my acrylic paints, from the cheapies to the Golden and they all worked like a charm. You need a brayer, but you can use anything to make your marks; an old credit card, a spoon, a jar lid, etc. I used lots of different papers and found that the thinner papers worked best for me. However, I am new to this and I probably need to play around more with my paint thickness.


After the paint dried, I added some stamps using some of my carved rubber stamps. I use Staz-on ink because it is permanent. You can add water or any other mediums to it and it will indeed stay on! I have already started cutting some of my printed papers and using them for collages.



If I haven't enticed you yet, you need to see this amazing video from the Gelli blog. I have not tried this technique yet, but isn't it wonderful? The blog is filled with great tutorials.



My friend Dudley Redhead has created some stellar prints with her Gelli. Take a look at some of her lovelies.

 
 




Have a great weekend everyone. I hope you get a chance to be crafty!

15 comments:

  1. Love your gelli prints! I've done monoprints before but not with a gelli block. I'll look for my Blick's coupon and head out to the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it and can totally see your fabric designs in monoprint! Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I have gelli love too, try it on muslin and mix with your papers, you will be stitching away....Loe your bold color choices. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try that! I think I've even got some muslin down here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really neat. I like the ones you made. You're going to have some fun with that technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried gelli print blocks yet, but it sounds like fun. Especially the wiggly part. Hey, I got my new CPS mag in the mail yesterday--great article--and I've already started working on a collection of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what you make! Please post it so I can see!

      Delete
  6. thanks for posting this, Jenny!

    i would like to experiment with Gelli
    and then introduce high school painting students
    to this technique of paint/print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your students will love it! You can also make your own gelatin for printing using gelatin from the grocery store. There are lots of how-to's on the web. However, I am not sure how long the gelatin stays workable. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Deborah - hope you don't mind me responding directly from Gelli Arts.. but we are doing a Classroom Kit giveaway for K-12 art teachers... the winners will be chosen Friday. Please join! http://promoshq.wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/276481 Also - please share with any other art teachers you know. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I've been hearing and reading alot about the gelli plates lately and it certainly is something I want to purchase and play with sometime in the near future.Love what you have created with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! From what I have seen on your blog... you will LOVE it!

      Delete
  8. oh man....really! another 'something' for me to get lost in!!! The prints looks wonderful. I've wanted to play with gelatin printing for a while but haven't jumped in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just learned about the gelli plate in the last couple weeks on Carolyn Dube's blog and I'm in love! Sent links to my dh and kids with a "This is all I want for Christmas!" LOL! So fun ...

    ReplyDelete