Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bucket List?

Do you have a bucket list? I don't, but recently I've been thinking maybe I need to create one. My cowardliness is probably the biggest reason why I have never had a bucket list. I feel no need or desire to jump out of an airplane before I die. I don't care if I never climb Mt. Everest. But are there other things I don't want to miss? Hmmmm.... time for some thought.


After some thought, I am feeling quite boring. My bucket list includes things like:

1) Learn how to make some encaustic art without burning the house down

2) Take a photography class

3) Learn how to dye fabric (I'm talking the fancy stuff, not a tie-dyed t-shirt)

4) Take up oil painting again (haven't done this since high school)

5) Learn how to weld and make a giant metal sculpture

Where is travel? Where is adventure? Where is danger?


Do I really need a list?

Does it help to create a checklist of your dreams? Or is it better to keep them cloud-like and ambiguous, floating up there with amber 1970's Kodak memories and sparks of ideas and old Abba songs that play softly in the background?

I'm not sure. But I do know this, two years ago I started making lists of creative goals in my journal. I talked to my husband and a few family members about my vague ideas and dreams. I never proclaimed anything official or made a big fuss about my list of dreams, but these goals were written in real ink on real paper. And you know what? Many of these dreams are actually coming true. Maybe this list of goals is really my bucket list. A bucket list doesn't just have to include crazy, near death adventure, right?  Can't a bucket list include things that are crazy and heart-stopping to you alone?

There must be something to it. The action of writing it down. The secret commitment to yourself. And so... I think you DO need a list. Do you have one?

Ok, all that thinking makes me sleepy.



9 comments:

  1. Love the cowboy boots photo and the last picture? You just crack me up!!!! I am a firm believer that one needs to put your dreams and desires out there for the universe to pick up on it! However, I agree that some of these bucket lists are so over the top that anything I come up with seems so blase! Ahhh, what the heck! It is what it is! As for me, my desires are to hit every flea market there is in this country. I am soooo very addicted to them. The other item on my bucket list? To have someone happen upon my blog, read it, and say..... "I would love to talk to you about writing for us!". Now how about them apples!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both of your bucket list items! The flea market quest is ambitious and worthy of all the time you need to do it. And the writing, well... it is only a matter of time!

      Delete
  2. I don't have a list written down, but you've given me pause for thought, I know there are things that must go on such a list, and as you say, they will be experiences and achievements that will probably be exciting only to me. But really, that is exactly who this list is for, so who cares about sky-diving if it's not something on your own personal list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you have a list in your head. You've got too many cool things going on not to be working on some sort of list!

      Delete
  3. You are too funny!! Love how you're sleeping holding onto some art supplies :):) Although I do have a few things in mind on my bucket list I DO believe in writing dreams, goals, and the like on paper and putting it out to the universe. Oh wait I have done art journal spreads several times now about my #1 bucket list place to visit one day- Ireland, and my dream to live in a home with a full view of the ocean. So come on universe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those dreams sound perfect. Ireland and a view of the ocean! I really think that putting the dreams "out there" is the first step in seeing things happen, so as you say... come on universe!

      Delete
  4. On my buckets list is going to every roller coaster in the world- unfortunately I've lost the ability to do so without barfing afterwards but I still want to try! I also want to learn to Flamenco in Spain and Tango in Argentina- I got to Merengue in Dominican Republic and salsa in Puerto Rico so two down, 2 to go! :) I would love to learn to paint with encaustic- I even have a kit but just like you I am scared of the heating needed to use it properly and it's just sitting there. I'm not jumping out of an airplane but I've wanted to hike the Appalachian trail and float down the Orinoco since high school- some dreams never die.
    PS- Those boots are FABULOUS lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so much fun. I would be barfing with you, but I love your willingness to do it anyway! The South American dancing goal is awesome. I'd love to learn to Flamenco. I hear it is great stress relief - all that stomping around. My husband and I talk about the Appalachian trail a lot. Not sure if I could really handle the solitude, but it still sounds amazing.

      Delete
  5. So funny that you posted this. Our January/February 2013 issue is our Great Bucket List issue. We'll be doing soldering (sorry no welding), Encaustics on the cheap, and a lot more. Glad to know we're headed in the right direction!

    Jenn Mason
    Cloth Paper Scissors

    ReplyDelete