Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Collage: Up Close & Personal


A few posts ago, I told you all about a collage I was creating. I thought you might like to see how it turned out. This collage was a commission from a friend. Her sister turned 50 and she wanted to give her a unique gift. I asked her to give me some details that I could use to make it as personal as possible.


She is a homemaker and loves the color red. This chair is made from a piece of cereal box cardboard. I made a chair shape, covered it with old text, painted, and stitched it.


We've got to have a girly dress in there... she has two daughters and a sister. This skirt is made from stamped, gathered, and painted deli paper.


So lucky to find a little birthday-related text!


This house is another cereal box cardboard piece. I've used stitch, paint, ink, gel pens, watercolor crayons, and found text to give it tons of texture.


I found these two lines in an old typing manual. If you ever see an old typing manual at a book sale or garage sale... buy it! You will find so many word treasures inside!



As I delivered the finished piece, I was really nervous. What if I took it in the wrong direction? Thankfully, my friend loved it and I hear her sister did too. What a privilege to be part of someone's special day. Yet another way that art connects us!

5 comments:

  1. Great piece Jenny. I'm glad it was well received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this piece. You put a lot of thought in this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So complex and expressive.....fabulous Jenny. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautifully personalized gift Jenny!! Who wouldn't love a gift like this-great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! I love how you used cereal box cardboard and incorporated it so seamlessly! It all is so cohesive, really well done. I'll bet the recipient loved it! I would.

    ReplyDelete