Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Collage: Up Close & Personal

A few posts ago, I told you all about a collage I was creating. I thought you might like to see how it turned out. This collage was a commission from a friend. Her sister turned 50 and she wanted to give her a unique gift. I asked her to give me some details that I could use to make it as personal as possible.

She is a homemaker and loves the color red. This chair is made from a piece of cereal box cardboard. I made a chair shape, covered it with old text, painted, and stitched it.

We've got to have a girly dress in there... she has two daughters and a sister. This skirt is made from stamped, gathered, and painted deli paper.

So lucky to find a little birthday-related text!

This house is another cereal box cardboard piece. I've used stitch, paint, ink, gel pens, watercolor crayons, and found text to give it tons of texture.

I found these two lines in an old typing manual. If you ever see an old typing manual at a book sale or garage sale... buy it! You will find so many word treasures inside!

As I delivered the finished piece, I was really nervous. What if I took it in the wrong direction? Thankfully, my friend loved it and I hear her sister did too. What a privilege to be part of someone's special day. Yet another way that art connects us!


  1. Great piece Jenny. I'm glad it was well received.

  2. Love this piece. You put a lot of thought in this. Great job!

  3. So complex and expressive.....fabulous Jenny. xox

  4. what a beautifully personalized gift Jenny!! Who wouldn't love a gift like this-great job!!

  5. This is fabulous! I love how you used cereal box cardboard and incorporated it so seamlessly! It all is so cohesive, really well done. I'll bet the recipient loved it! I would.