Monday, July 9, 2012

Two Tickets, Please



Do you ever get stuck in a cycle of frustration?
I have to admit... sometimes I do.
It happened this week. And all I could think about? Bumper cars.

As a kid, I never liked bumper cars. I loved the Tilt-a-Whirl, the Ferris Wheel, hot dogs, cotton candy, the friendly yet somewhat spooky carny operators, and countless rides on the Scrambler. But I would not ride those bumper cars.

I couldn't understand why anyone would voluntarily step into such madness. Once in the rink, you must hit or be hit. Being the champion conflict-avoider that I was, I never wanted to actually bump anyone, so for me it was a game of chase. And I was the prey. My quest became escape, but a chance breakaway led only to momentary peace followed by a monumental whack in the rear end.



I couldn't understand why so many of my friends loved those bumper cars. They gleefully rammed into each other, laughing and eagerly seeking revenge. They had fun in those things.

So here I am in my cycle of bumper car frustration. No one is hitting me and I am not hitting anyone, but I feel like I can't get out of the rink. I try this and Wham! Hit from the side. I try that and Bam! Hit from the rear. Then I get a clear unobstructed piece of clear rink. Escape is within my reach and Blammo! Head-on collision!

Perhaps the problem is this... I'm not doing the chasing. I'm being chased. I'm avoiding. I'm trying to find the easy way out. My only goal... escape.

What if I quit trying to get out?

Instead of running, what if I look gleefully at the other cars, press my foot on the accelerator, throw back my head with diabolical laughter, and plow right into the side of that shiny red one. Pow! Take that!

After all, the ride only lasts a few minutes anyway.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny-I hope your week will get better. I have to admit that I was one of the kids that enjoyed bumper cars. As I got older I want to avoid the bumper cars and the chaos. "Fly underneath the radar" is my new mantra. Unfortunately, my day job is full of chaos. I find solace in my artwork and reading other people's blogs (like yours) during a break in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like where you're at with this one. I might slam my foot to the accelerator too. As you say, short term pain to push through...
    Also, loved your comment on my blog. I so like the image of "snakes in your head".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That phrase comes from a Southern Belle (Alabama) friend of mine. I loved it when I heard her use it and had to add it to my vocabulary!

      Delete
  3. Great graphic, was that something you whipped up whilst feeling this?
    Funny, I actually really liked bumper cars - because it gave me a chance to be in control - at the wheel, so to speak. I liked the thrill of the short chase, then it was all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I carved that stamp one day and realized it was a reflection of what was going on in my brain! Isn't it funny how things in your head come out through your hands?

      Delete
  4. Rollercoaster girl here. I never was much of a bumper car kid, either...in fact I've had more fun looking at your REALLY cool art piece (Bam! Pow! Bang!) than I ever had in the bumper cars themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I enjoy looking at your colourful works of art and I love the way you've looked at things here. I too have never liked bumper cars, but the thought of ramming into 'the shiny red one' is quite appealing. I say you should put your pedal to the metal and go!

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cont'd (lol) ... I've just checked my blog and saw the lovely message you left there. We seem to have so much in common. And we both have to believe that we are making the right choices in our lives, because it is too short to always be dwelling on the 'what-ifs'. Though it is so difficult not to doubt and question the decisions we make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that stamp!!! I LOVE the concept and execution for this piece!!! FANTASTIC!!!! I would have been right there with you running away from everyone else- I loved the speed of the cars but I hated the jolt I got when someone bumped me- and I always hated how the boys seemed to gang up on the girls. As a grown up I still tend to avoid direct conflict till whatever is irritating me gets so bad I freak out entirely- not the best way to deal with conflict I must admit. Hmm something to work on. Great post- thanks for the big think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you've managed your way out by now Jenny. Love your visual!! I have to say, I USED to love the bumper cars...until I was in one at a beach park and my BFF was in another. We were the only two there and well, she managed to hit me hard enough that I ended up with two little broken bones in my wrist! we were heading home that day which was a good thing. Of course she felt horrible but I still get kidded about how I could possibly have hurt myself in this situation :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you jumped in went for it...because it is a short ride ultimately and we must just take that bull by the horns!

    your piece reminds me of my favorite Batman t.v. show as a kid.

    Bam!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I felt like I was right there in the rink with your descriptive wording - you are an amazing writer:)

    ReplyDelete