Sunday, September 8, 2013

ReWork Your Work


Sometimes I make something that just doesn't work for me. Like this collage. I like it, but never really want to hang it anywhere. I think it might be a bit gloomy. It's been in my studio closet, waiting for a transformation.

Last week, a friend asked me to make a collage for her sister, who is turning 50 this year. I decided to use this old collage as a base for something new and more cheerful. I started by adding layers of paper.


I added some personal information by typing family names and other details onto scrapbook paper. I love this old typewriter. It belonged to my grandfather!


The collage seemed rather cold, so I scrubbed in some quinacridone and raw umber with a dry brush. I then used acrylic glazing medium to thin and smudge the brown tones into the crevices of the collage.


I'm still layering and thinking about the final result, but so far I like what is happening.


The old collage is quickly disappearing, but the green tones and funky shapes peek out here and there.

How about you? Do you keep your old "ho-hum" pieces? What do you do with them?


4 comments:

  1. This resonated with me. I keep acrylic canvases that have not quite "got it" and collage over them. And the reverse paint over collages with acrylics. Also works on paper get cut up into ACEO sizes and framed in multi-opening mounts. These have proved very popular and are sold out, I made 30! So now I have to make work for that theme. You never know where art will lead you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this idea - I will be using it! I particularly like the way you've turned one theme into 30 pieces. I need to do more of this. So often I pour all my time into one piece. This method would give me a way to spread out my work and have more to offer at craft shows! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic transformation. It's so full of life. I do keep my old stuff. Sometimes I re work it, sometimes I cut it up and use parts of it elsewhere. It's all fodder for new creativity. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see all the scraps and fodder in your studio! Fun!

      Delete