Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back on Track

I'm back. 
Thank you blog friends. Sometimes a girl just needs some advice. I took it!

I started cleaning up the studio a bit. 
Touching my supplies makes some sort of brain connection and the lightbulbs start coming back on. 
I also looked for colors I don't normally use. 
For me, this would be neutral tones. 
I love them, but am naturally drawn to red, purple, and turquoise. 

I haven't made a quilt in a while, so I decided to start a new one. 
The last one I made was a baby quilt for some friends up in Brooklyn. 
I think I will make another. 

Wonderful therapy... cutting strips.



When I sew a quilt, I just start sewing. No plan. No end in mind. 
I love to paint, but get a bit nervous when putting the paint on the canvas. 
Mistakes are sometimes tricky to correct. 
Not so with my kind of sewing. 
I love to just start stitching things together haphazardly. 
I always have my good friend, the seam ripper, standing by just in case.
 
I made a rectangle ladder from an old muslin curtain panel and a dish towel.
 

I sewed tucks into plain muslin. Great texture and visual interest.




I like to make interesting patches for imaginary holes.



After I piece the top, I will add text and images by embroidering with black thread.


"White...is not a mere absence of colour; 
it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black."
G. K. Chesterton 

My next project will probably be a return to bold color, but I am enjoying the peaceful look of white. 
The lack of bright colors forces me to look at my design in a different way. 
Looking in a different way is always a good thing.

 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found your mojo! I love that you're sewing without a plan. It seems so theraputic.

    ReplyDelete