Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Snip Snip




My first experiment with lino block printing. For some reason, I am drawn to scissors. Probably because I love to cut paper, fabric, stuff that just came off the laminator, and price tags off new clothes. Scissors mean fun and creativity. So, I carved a pair into a lino block and made a sample print on some old packing paper. Fun stuff. Love to cut the lino, but have learned it is easier if you warm up the block in the oven before carving (thanks Manya!) I've also learned that the water soluble block printing ink is way too water soluble. Just a tiny droplet of water makes a major smudge. The best choice seems to be oil-based ink and messy clean up. However, I used spray canola oil for clean up and it wasn't that big a deal. No fumes and nice smooth skin afterward. Oil-based ink also works well on fabric. I printed a dish towel using oil-based ink for my friend Ellen and it still looks great after many washings.
Just bought the book Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens by Lena Corwin. It is so juicy and beautiful and makes me want to stay up all night making stuff. I have only given the pages a few glances. I am saving it for the weekend when I can devour it page by page.


No comments:

Post a Comment