Friday, January 20, 2012

I Know You Have Days Like This Too


Yesterday, my crafty cap must have been in the dirty laundry bin. Things did not go well in the studio. I tried to re-create some of the magnificent painted scissors like the ones on the cover of this month’s Cloth Paper Scissors magazine. June Pfaff Daley’s scissors were at the top of my “I can’t wait to make these” list. In preparation, I stopped by the craft store the other day and picked up alcohol-based supplies. I tore into the paint package when I got home from work and launched in. Hmmm. Something didn’t seem right. I read June’s article again, this time with glasses. I realized she suggested alcohol-based paints. I purchased alcohol inks - definitely not the same thing. I dug around in my paint stash and realized I already had some alcohol-based paints, just not many color choices.

I am glad I tried this project, but I want my scissors to be more colorful and June Pfaff Daley-like. Another trip to the craft store might be in order.

My next attempt at craftiness … ink jet shrinky dinks. I had the grand idea to make a chunky charm bracelet with photos from our trip to Jamaica. I carefully printed and cut my photos and popped the tray into the oven. 3-5 minutes later, I had a tray filled with what looked like vacation-colored rigatoni pasta tubes. Every piece curled up and could not be unrolled.
 
I decided it was time to close up shop and cook dinner. Oops. It was almost 7:30 and my kids needed to be showering already. My husband came to the rescue and picked up Wendy’s value menu baked potatoes and chili on his way home.

At this point, I felt rather low.

Luckily, I picked up a new book to read in bed and inside the cover I read a quote by Pablo Picasso. 

The important thing is to do, and nothing else; be what it may.

I picked up my sketchbook and “do”odled for a little while. Not every day will be stellar.







Check out June Pfaff Daley's etsy shop for even more colorful fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny.. Great to read another of your 'sharings' . I love that you go from scissors to shrinkey dinks in 2 paragraphs.. I have a few days to complete my sketchbook - then can't wait to get stuck into some other projects..
    I was wondering if you wanted to have a little 'pen pal' exchange.. I thought it would be nice to tell each other more about our creative lives. . Since we can't meet for coffee ! No pressure if not. If yes email me at
    Dudley.redhead@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your scissors! Am going to follow along and see what else you come up with. No pressure, lol!

    Loulou Downtown

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely scissors. plenty colorful in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete