Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mod Podge Fest 2012



It's another gray, cold, and misty afternoon here in Atlanta. There is plenty of housework, laundry, and cooking that I could be doing. But why? Especially when my 9 year old daughter, Bea, and I have the house to ourselves all afternoon. We've been down in the basement studio (with every light on and girlie music playing) going crazy with paper, paint, and Mod Podge. We were inspired by Ann Ellis' "Word Birds" in the January/February issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. Ann glues fun and inspirational words and phrases onto her birds, then puts them on sticks to place in pencil cans, plants, or wherever inspiration is needed.




Bea and I decided we liked our birds wordless and we haven't decided whether or not to put them on sticks. They would be a lot of fun on a canvas too.





We have successfully dreamed and played away hours of a dull afternoon.
We'll be happily peeling Mod Podge off our hands until supper. 

8 comments:

  1. A fantastic days work indeed.. Love the spotty bird with 'crown'..
    I may have to do some too! So is modge pudge better than gel medium? My gel medium seems to stay sticky for ages.. Not sure if you got my email reply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just emailed... took me a while to find a moment without another being in my personal bubble.
      The Mod Podge is super quick drying, cheap, and runnier than gel medium. You can paint it on in a jiffy. The down-side is that it is not archival. I guess it would eventually yellow and crack. So for fun projects that might be short-lived, it is wonderful!

      Delete
  2. These little birds are wonderful. The time you spent with your daughter... priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny Jenny Jenny... These are just fabulous. They are very well done. I may very well be doing this with my 4 year old tomorrow when we have the house to ourselves. Yes I can see it now...Paper, Mod Podge, Scissors, ink, and maybe words... Thank you so much for inspiring me- be looking for my post about this. Sophie has just been notified of our plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your birds, Jenny & Bea! Thanks so much for the mention x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there instructions anywhere? I would love to do this with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there are too many instructions on this, but I can give you a quick run down:
      1) cut bird shapes out of thin cardboard (cereal box cardboard is a perfect weight.) I stuck with body, wing, beak, and a few crown shapes.
      2) adhere scraps of paper or fabric with mod podge. anything goes! Let everything dry.
      3) glue the parts together with craft glue or mod podge.
      4) edge the piece with black acrylic paint (I just put some on my fingertip and smear it on the edge.)
      Have fun!

      Delete