Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Promptly Get Busy Making Something

"Look at art from a different culture, and then dive into your sketchbook." This was a prompt submitted by Anne Donaghy in the Cloth Paper Scissors article, "A Year of Art Prompts" by Belinda Spiwak & Friends. I never use art prompts because I never feel like I need them. My head is always full of projects and lists of techniques I want to try. But, in the spirit of Rampin' Up My Crafty, I decided to look through the list and pick one.

I enjoyed a few minutes of inspiration from a little coffee table book (impulse buy #999) called Light of India, a Conflagration of Indian Matchbook Art by Warren Dotz. The book is filled with brightly colored monkeys, elephants, religious imagery, and all kinds of scenes from India. I made some doodles and created a picture that combined some of my favorite elements. Then I had to get my markers and fill the sketch with color and the bold black outlines I had seen in my book.



The end result was something unexpected and delightful. I am not sure how I will use this image, or if I ever will. But something tells me I will find ways to put a bit of India into more of my artwork. How can't that be wonderful?

I will be coming back to this list of prompts and sharing new creations with you as I go. If you want to try a prompt and see what happens in your artwork, you can download the CPS list for free. What images and ideas are waiting?

3 comments:

  1. Your piece is beautiful. The colours are so bright and full of joy! Very nice. I'm going to take a look at that list of prompts and see what comes out.

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how interesting and what a well drawn figure. I love the face/hair and wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm.. CPS does churn out some good stuff, maybe I do prompts too... loosen up..loosen up.... like yoga for journals..

    ReplyDelete