Monday, December 27, 2010

The Joy of the $1 Ribbon Bin

I have issues with the $1 ribbon bin at Michael's. It has been a source of needless buying throughout the years. In my defense, I do indeed use the ribbons. Eventually.
But let us stay positive and not go into the hoarding discussion. I want to share one of my favorite things to make with cheap ribbon. Enormous ribbon roses.























On one of my luckier days, I found 4 spools of this pink/gray/ perhaps light puce (?) imitation silk, wire-edged ribbon. I could see the enormous roses immediately. It only took me about 6 months to actually get around to making them. Because the ribbon was wire edged, the job was a quick one.
To make a rose, I pull the wire out of one side of the entire spool of ribbon. Then I use the wire on the other side as my gathering thread. Once the whole piece of ribbon is gathered up, I coil it, hand-stitch the coil together, and hot glue a pin closure on the back.
The roses look beautiful alone or in a group. I would love to have an entire blanket of them.







Ooh lah lah.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea and the color is perfect!! I would love to make some of those too. I need to check those bins more closely~!! LOL

    ReplyDelete